Monday, October 19, 2015

Meet the Family (or just the cat)


So, this is my cat, Luna. My friend, my child, my love. Or maybe frenemy would be a better way to describe our relationship. That day when I saw her picture on the PAWS website was the first day of the end of my life. You can probably guess what we were thinking when we saw her. "Just look at her! So incredibly beautiful, funny, sweet. The most incredible soft gray coat and golden coin eyes. What a perfect cat!"
And then we brought her home. That's when the "fun" began.
She had been a stray, of course, and was actually only about a year old when we got her, though the shelter told us she was about two years old.
I, of course, wanted a cuddly cat who would curl up next to me on the couch as I read and sipped tea. Ah, such fantasies. Ah, such ignorance.
We soon discovered her true nature. If we tried to pick her up or touch her, she would hiss, scratch, and run away. She was paranoid and afraid of everything, quite a contrast to her mean-ness. She wouldn't eat like a normal cat; instead of eating a little of what's in the bowl and leaving the rest for later, she always gobbled down everything. She had gained ten pounds after the first week. It was really hard, those first weeks, and we weren't sure what to do with her.
But we pushed through it.
Okay, so I'm writing this like it's some sort of redemption story. It's really, really not. She still does all those things.
But I love her more than anything. She's a little better at tolerating our love, now. We feed her hardly a scoop of food a day; she's a little chubby but not too bad.
She's also absolutely hilarious.
That's mostly because of her paranoia, I think. She'll come around the corner, stare at us, and if we make one step toward her, she makes a funny little grunt and takes off to the other side of the house. If I try to pick her up or pet her, she get's very vengeful. I'll walk away and she'll literally be on my heels, attacking my legs and feet. Or she'll wait, and then run across the room to jump up on the chair nearest to me, her paws hanging off the edge and her eyes wild.

But sometimes she's sweet.
She follows me around the house. I'll move from one room to another as I work on school; not a minute later I'll hear little paws beating the wood and she'll appear in the doorway. She often will climb up next to me (not too close, mind you) and fall asleep. She's absolutely obsessed with peanut butter and popcorn.
If I make peanut butter toast, she can hear the jar being opened. She'll run into the room meowing and purring, then she'll jump up on the table in the kitchen, come to the edge, and sit meowing and looking at me with those big old eyes. When I bring the knife over, I hold it above her head so she jumps up, puts her paws on my chest, and stands there licking the peanut butter. That's when I pet her ridiculously soft belly :) Or when I have popcorn. She'll come up right in my face when I'm sitting on the couch. Then she'll wait for me to get a piece of popcorn, and try to paw it from my hand. It's quite adorable.


Gosh, I love her so much. I used to have awful panic attacks when she was outside. I worried so much about her not coming back that we stopped letting her out at all.
(My little brother. I'll write about him soon.)
Luna really means a lot to me. I talk to her a lot, and she just sits there staring at me with those beautiful eyes. Then she usually bites me or scratches me. But nonetheless, I really do love her.

I hope you enjoyed learning about my cat! She really has quite a personality. Which means she has many nicknames...:Luna-Tuna, Loons-Toons, Loony Lovegood, Luna-Luna, Draco Malfoy (their personalities are very similar, yes? Mean on the outside but wimpy on the inside. As well as being beautiful <3)
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment