Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Camp NaNo Day 4

Yes, I know - I've already missed a day. BUT, in my defense, yesterday was pretty rough on me and I was too upset to finish my word count or make a post.
Luckily, I had enough free time (and willpower) today to make up for yesterday AND get my words done for today! So...Yay me!
Day: 4
Total words written: 6,720
Words written today: 2,565
Words left: 43,280
Favorite excerpt from the day: 
Meg couldn’t hear words coming out, but there they were, formed on Maeve’s trembling pink lips. Help me, Meg. Help me.
“Wha-” Meg slid to the floor, clenching the towel with white-knuckled hands. Her breathing had become heavy, her whole body shaking with fear. “How-”
Maeve’s face started getting more and more desperate. PLEASE! HELP ME!
“I don’t-” Meg trembled, tears rolling down her pale face.
And then, just like that, Maeve was gone. A spot of darkness filled the mirror, spreading until it engulfed the whole pane of glass, and then - it shattered.
Glass sprayed across the room. Meg put her arms up just in time, covered her vulnerable eyes but leaving the rest of her body bare. There was enough force behind the breakage to send shards into her skin; blood started to drip from scratches where she had been grazed.
But Meg just sat there, still, staring at where the mirror had been.
Where Maeve had been.

A few hours later, Megan’s mother found her sitting against the wall of the bathroom, surrounded by glass, bleeding, and fast asleep from exhaustion.

I got SO many chills writing this. And, I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but I tend to kind of act out the emotion as I write XD (Just another reason to write alone - imagine how weird it would look if I was in a coffee shop writing that part.)
And I have to admit, writing a novel set in the 90s is quite enjoyable, because of the research I get to take part in. Yes, that DOES mean 1. looking up 90s fashion 2. researching obscure things like "what literature was assigned to highschoolers in the 90s" and, my favorite, 3. listening to 90s music.
Let me share some of what that experience was like for me:
This was the first song that came up when I played a Spotify 90s playlist.
So. Bad. *shudders*
Thankfully, the next songs were more like this:
I refuse to be ashamed of the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed this song.
And then, of course, there were these types of songs:

And yes, it's just as bad as it sounds.
And of course, thankfully, there were also Nirvana songs that popped up in my research. That made it all worth it, I think.

Well, that's it for today, but thank you all for reading! If you have any suggestions on good 90s music for me to listen to while I write my novel, leave it down in the comments below!
(Hopefully) I'll write to you again tomorrow!
-Trinity

No comments:

Post a Comment